Then why does anyone care that half of St Paul's students aren't from Wise Co.? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
If my math is correct, Mr. Franks' figures tally to $7,750.00 per student, and he says that is paid by Wise Countians. I seriously doubt Wise Co. has the tax base to pay that much per student, so obviously alot of this figure is coming from state and federal coffers. How much do area counties actually pay from local taxes for education? What percent is federal and state? Sounds to me like Mr. Franks' figures are quite misleading. Was this before or after he was voted off the board?
Then why does anyone care that half of St Paul's students aren't from Wise Co.? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Cheering for Twin Springs is like cheering for the Taliban
The counties get somewhere around 7,000 dollars for each student in the school system. I do not know the exact amount but the state gives each district that much money for each student. The problem is that if a child is special ed. then the cost educate that child can be considerably more than what the state gives.
[url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]
So you're saying that Franks' statement that Wise Countians are paying $744,000 is greatly exaggerated?
I think I read somwhere that the state CURRENTLY(this was a coupple of years ago so it could have changed) pays 70% of the cost per student (I may be wrong but I will try to find the link) leaving 30% of the cost to the County for a Base education (The schools system would be responsable for 100% of cost per student past the base amount)
How much money does that come to???? I do not know
Thanks for the info.
Here are some interesting sites
This one points out that just becouse a Co gets X% of state funding now does not mean it will always be that way
http://www.kentonngo.com/750volts/20...ding-on-a-map/
This one explanes the Composit index
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/Parents/glossary.html
The 2002 Index is here and it looks like Wise gets just under 79% of the students BASIC cost currently covered by the state
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/Financ...et/2004cis.pdf
Here is some addational info (so showing how NOVA will be keeping a bit more of the pie starting this year)
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?061+ful+HB584
Bookmarks